him

I was gazing at him without his knowledge. And for the first time in twenty one years, I noticed how much he had aged. His thinning hair and wrinkle lines started to be even more evident under the direct reflection of the florescent light. A closer scrutiny revealed scars on his face, each accompanied with a heroic story I would never get tired of hearing over and over and over again. He was smiling broadly, and all of a sudden I felt a big lump in my throat. Tears were swimming in my eyes. I did not know why I was on the verge of tears for no reason. But I was quick enough to turn sideways and wipe them away. Taking a deep breath to ease things up a bit, I started laughing along with the rest.
Sometimes it takes a lot of guts to show or tell your dad about how you feel. Men are not meant to be susceptible to diplaying emotions, especially when it involves showing how grateful and warm to be raised by your dad. And despite how harsh you could be sometimes to your dad, your dad is always there to give you strong undying support. I am still gathering my courage, though. The moment I felt warmest was when I hugged my dad before I left for Singapore. And for a moment like this, I was on the brink of bursting into tears.

Comments

First time of all that I heard a guy expressing his feeling to his father. Yeah! U r right! A guy is not supposed to express the feeling towards other guys especially that kind of feeling u r having. :) Hmm.. though it seems a bit weird, I think ur dad must be so proud of u.. :)
Sopheary said…
Oh my gosh! I had been visualizing my dad since the first sentence. Recently it's been so hard to stand missing him, and u're making this time the hardest. :(
Rithy said…
Your story reminds me of my dad. Believe it or not i still cry when i miss him. To me, expressing your love and gratitude towards your parents like hugging and telling them you love them has nothing to do with your sex. Volentine's day this year, i bought my mum a rose. I hugged and told her i love her and cried.
Unknown said…
Oh ven and thy you made me miss my grandma! :( I still can't forget the moment I neglect her leaving. I should have been by her side.
i think it is worth giving a hug to your mum or dad on special days. Though at first he or she might be a little taken aback, you will be amazed at how miraculous that can be...
Unknown said…
haha I'm going to give my mum and grandpa a hug when they arrive at Narita airport this coming weekend :)

Popular posts from this blog

A stranger within YOU

HAPPY St. Valentine's Day!

The Good Old Time (2003)