Love Story

I was lying propped up against my pillow. Despite the fact that it was already late mid-night, I could not seal my eyes closed for more than five minutes. Maybe the coffee, I convinced myself. I slipped out of the blanket and took a few steps towards the window. In its delicious slumber, the entire neighborhood was shrouded with darkness, and there was no trace of life. No movement. No sound. Nothing. And there was something about tonight—some kind of invisible force—that was weighing me down with a bone-crushing weight. I felt like there was a void in me, so hollow and empty that it would never be filled. Not after when she’s already gone. Forever.
I scanned my dimly-lit bedroom, bathed in orange light from the dangling ceiling lamp, and my eyes dropped upon the red carton box on the shelf opposite my bed. My Memory Box. Out of nowhere, waves of nostalgia came rushing back, rolling over me, so much so that I surrendered to the overwhelming upsurge of desire to open up the box. I took a few big strides towards the shelf, and standing on tiptoe, I reached for the box, snatched it and headed back to my bed on which I sat cross-legged with the box on my lap. With one hand covering my mouth and nose, I dusted the box off with my other hand. In the middle of the red box’s cover bore My Memory Box, at the bottom of which lay (Me and Her). Me and Her…Me and Her…The three words were so familiar. Yet…so distant now. All of a sudden, I felt so weak and drained. I was not crying, but my heart was, longing for nothing else but her. Only her.
I shut my eyes tightly, not trying to shut out the light, but attempting to shut out the pain. The very pain that was slicing through me. The pain that had been my companion ever since she had walked out on me that night. Unwillingly. Breathing a long, shaky sigh, I opened my eyes again and ran my fingers on the cover of the box, wishing more than anything to feel her soft hand that had once laid upon the very spot I was touching now. Open the box, I was urging myself. A voice—my own voice—was ringing in my ears. Everything is beyond retrieval now. Nothing else but a faint smell of memories is left.
I removed the cover, only to find how orderly and “unchanged” the guts were in spite of one year of negligence. Oh God! She is smiling at me. My heart was in my throat now. I swallowed hard, and ran my trembling fingers on the mirror surface of the picture frame. You look as beautiful as ever. I forced a smile, and lifted the frame out of the box. Another picture greeted my eyes, and made my heart sore. This time, it was me and her. I was trying to spoon-feed her, but she recoiled after the third gulf apparently because she had claimed Chocolate Trio was too sweet. At that precise moment, tears of despair stung my eyes, and after being suppressed for one agonizing year, they were finally allowed to run free. And for that very instant, I wished I had gone with her. To the world free of pain. To the world filled with nothing else but our love for each other.
I could no longer control myself. Burying my face into my hand, I broke into hysterical sobs, each sending a piercing knife through my flesh. Why her? Why did you take her away from me? Why didn’t you take me instead? Why?
(To be continued...)

Comments

Sopheary said…
The girl died? So sad...:-(
Sopheary said…
By the way, such a great honor to be the first here..Hehehe..
Anonymous said…
Sigh! Another sad love story :(
Anonymous said…
can't wait to read the next part...why must all love stories end with separation?
To PM: hehehe...must be proud of yourself, huh? Wel yeah...she did! Sad...sad!
To Vattey: yeah sad story...told ya that love stories i write are supposed to make ppl sad...
To Pheaktra: ýou know what? i haven't thought of the ending yet...i know i should have planned well and everything...anyway, i love sad stories...i think it's kinda so reflective of the current trend...
Barbie said…
I'm late! I'm late! Why everyone is this fast, huh? Heh Heh never mind lah! I am the 8th to give comment. (^,^)

Oh! what happened with her, Ven? I'm anxious to read more... Don't tell me that she passed away or sth that make him asked God to take him instead. Heh Heh Him??? Him is you, right? No way, I think him is better, cuz if this story is supposing to be a sad one, yours story will be undoubtedly the happiest. Heh Heh
Anonymous said…
Well, i know sometimes we write stories without knowing the ending. It happens to me too...When inspiration hits, then we know how to continue the story well. :)
Anyway, It's not true. There are happy endings in reality too! Let's not be too pessimistic to reflect only the sad parts!!
I think sad endings occur more frequently now because of the high expectations we all have so it's hard to meet those expectations. Also the arranged marriage and all...
Anonymous said…
To Pheaktra: Sound like what we have just discussed last night. lolz. As I am typing this, you are sitting just right behind me. lolz
Sopheary said…
To Ven:
Why you like making poeple sad? I like making people laugh.

To Vattey:
So you and Pheaktra are staying together now?
Unknown said…
heh it was quite touching :( i could feel the sadness come out of my heart u know.. never have i read any novels before, i mean i rarely read the moving one.. can say, u could touch my heart with ur words ven!!! hei, hei, so finally the girl died or what? where's she gone to? it's so sad indeed! ven, i suggest u end the story with sad ending too cuz it seems from the beginning the story was so sad already. can't wait to hear the ending now...
To Barbie: You are not late, Barbie! The movie is just being played hehehe...Thanks!Hopefully there will be the happiest ending for me. Will try to finish as soon as possible:-)
To Pheaktra: Guess it's true! I am on the lookout for the source of inspiration...looking real hard at ppl around me...But then they are happy couples!hehehe...Happy endings? Well, there exist happy endings, of course! But i still believe that there are not many...
To Vattey: REALLY? Are you saying that you were discussing about me?
To PM: i like write sad stories!! But i dun wanna make ppl sad literally. I mean, i just think sad stories achieve a greater, more long-lasting impact. It happens to me, so i think it might happen to everyone too.
To Hour: Thanks, dude! I'll be more than happy if it has such an impact on you. Ok...ok...dun get me wrong!! I am not saying that i like seeing you being sad and stuff but seeing you feel sad shows that my story, to some extent, has achieved its purpose. Well...just wait and see what will happen in the end, man,...haven't thought of it too, you know...
Unknown said…
hahha ven, i'm so happy that the author admires my reading and my feeling towards the story. U see? Even if you read Jane Austeen's book, she'd never know how you feel towards her pieces of writing so it's such mah honour this time :P come on quick, think of the ending, can't wait to read :)
Hehehe...so honoured to have been compared to Jane Austin hehe...i will, dude...but right now...preparation for the practicum seems to keep me preoccupied...
Anonymous said…
No lah. We were discussing about the sad ending and happy ending in general. So yeap!
Barbie said…
Funny Turtle and Chocolate>> Just jump in and say, you two spelled Jane Austen wrong! (^,^) :P

Happy Happy!!!
Anonymous said…
I hope you can find the source of inspiration soon! Well, but there's one thing i want to tell you though...it does give me a happy feeling to finish a happy-ending story. :) hahaha....
It's good that everyone around you are having happy endings. That's a positive force on you and maybe they can change your perspective about reality couples! hahahaha...
Sopheary said…
Waiting to read more. Hey, let me aske you a question concerning this story. How much truth will be embedded in the story? Come on, a real fiction doesn't have much impact on readers, either.
To BarBee: Nice try!! NOw you are calling me Chocolate! Well, good that you are this critical about linguistic mistakes. Your talent will come in handy when you happen to be taught by Mr. Sok Soth in year four..hehe..
To Pheaktra: Nah...actually it kinda has a negative impact on me. I mean, seeing happy couples around makes me feel even more lonely, and usually this loneliness is expressed in terms of words in my stories...
To PM: first of all, what do you mean by "real" fiction? i mean, it kind sounds contradictory to me. Fictions are supposed to be not real, right? anyway, i have no clue as to how much truth will be displayed in the story cos i myself am not sure how the story will end yet.

Popular posts from this blog

A stranger within YOU

HAPPY St. Valentine's Day!

The Good Old Time (2003)