To Love Somebody...

It has been a long long time since I last wrote anything about love. But now that i feel overwhelmed I need to get it off my chest.

I have been through pain and joy, some excruciating indeed, and some sweeping you off your feet. It is also true that I have built a foundation about love theory so firmly established through my own personal experience and through other people's experiences. And each time the topic of love is in the air, I never fail to take an unswerving stance upon that foundation before I make any judgements or give romantic advice. According to many, love is blind. Others say love means sacrifice, while the most daring of all claim that love is madness. At this point, I realize that people tend to paint either a very grim or a very rosy picture of love as a result of the experiences they have undergone, the experiences that shape and mold and, sometimes cloud, their judgements related to love.
However, there has always been this nagging doubt inside my head about what it means when people say there is true love. Does true love means sacrifice even to the point where the world no longer matters but the loved one involved? Or is it justifiable to say that this act of self-sacrifice is merely a reckless, foolish act which has nothing to do with true love?
Love can be the most beautiful thing on earth, yet it can be the exact opposite as well. Couples are so sweet when they are in love. There is a chance that things turn sour when either one of the parties involved does not feel the same anymore. I believe that emotions swing. Sometimes you wake up one morning and you do not feel the same about the person you are sharing your bed with. Is it wrong to feel so?

Comments

Unknown said…
Well, to love somebody is not to keep it in chest ;) hope u get what i mean. Listen to the song more then u will write such things a lot more. love to read tho
Sopheary said…
Let me answer every question u post here in accordance with my own perspectives.

This is gonna be a cliche, but the one worth being repeated. The definition of true love varies from one person to another. Thus, self-sacrifice is foolish to certain people but valuable to others. To me, it is definitely valuable and not crazy at all. Those viewing it crazy might never have a chance to live life to its fullest.

Love is the most beautiful thing on earth, and it cannot be the opposite. If it is, then it's not love.

And there's no such thing as right or wrong especially in love. If u wake up in the morning, feeling different towards the person sharing the same bed, no one is wrong. It would be the waste of time and mind trying to figure out whose mistake it is.

My notion is that everyone should follow their heart and not their head coz sooner or later they will end up following their heart.
Sopheary said…
Oh, I disagree with Hour that u should listen to songs rather than write about such things. Write more than listen to the songs.
To hour: That's my case, and i am not keeping it in my chest! It's the meaning of true love that m wondering about.

To PM: i believe that there are two sides to almost everything. Love does have its own ugly side too. People are in so much pain because they are in so much love. Anyway, talking about self-sacrifice, i watched Windstruck, and in the movie the girl tried to end her life three times cos of the guy, so do you think she's having a true love towards the guy? And would yo ever think of commiting suicide cos of love?
To hour: *that's not my case!!
Sopheary said…
I took this philosophy class and read a lot about different views about suicide from famous philosophers, and to my surprise some of those philosophers support suicide if there're good reasons to do it. Even more surprising is the fact that they have successfully convinced me that not all suicides are bad. Some should be done for the general good. So yeah, if committing suicide for my loved one will result in benefits more than the negative effects, it's worth doing. I'm not talking to win. I'm talking with reasoning.
Ven said…
But it affects everyone. Your family, your sweet heart and yourself.
I don't know where I should start. It seems that I have many things to say but to put it into words doesn't seem to be possible. Well, the idea towards love varies from one person to another. If u ask me, love is the most beautiful thing. Even though there are times that love brings a lot of troubles, I still feel positive towards it. The thing is how you look towards it. Even if u lost someone that u love, there must be a reason to it and if u try to look at it in a positive way, u may smile afterwards.

Anyway, to some extend, love involves sacrifice. It's just a matter of a little sacrifice or a serious one. Committing suicide just to show our true love is not necessary at all. It's no use to sacrifice our own life just to express our true feeling. There are more than one ways to express it. If u r talking about windstruck, I think she doesn't sacrifice to show her true feeling. It's just that she can't bear with that feeling and without proper thinking, it's the first thing in her mind. :)
Pheaktra said…
love has to come with maturity. Following one's heart is one thing and having a good judgement for love also will save you from heartache.
sometimes feelings are not everything because it MAY change (stronger or less strong) so a couple's happiness cannot depend solely on feelings. I think that love built solely on love will not last. It has to come with understanding, sacrifice and maturity.

LIFE WILL TEACH US HOW TO LOVE BEST!
Unknown said…
that's good friend!
Rithy said…
Strongly agree with Sopheaktra's ideas.
Sopheary said…
To Ven: When I said "advantages are more than disadvantages," it means everything and everyone are considered.

Popular posts from this blog

A stranger within YOU

HAPPY St. Valentine's Day!

The Good Old Time (2003)