A walk in the rain...

It has been raining all day long. Though it is quite soggy to walk in the rain and though I am nothing but inapt to do so, no thanks to my frail physical health at the moment, I have to admit that I do enjoy everything about the rain. And I have so many memories with the rain, both bitter and sweet.

I remember one evening long long time ago when the rain was coming down in torrential downpours. The sky was a long stretch of dark clouds. The rain had been raining so heavily that my teacher of English was nowhere in sight. Despite how much I really wanted more than anything to go back home, I had no choice but to wait for my elder brother to pick me up as he had always did. It was before long that I could discern my brother in yellow plastic raincoat from the distance, wading through the slightly-flooded school playground towards my class. Without further ado, I frantically packed my things and squeezed them into my tiny little backpack.

"Let's go! Here is another raincoat!" My brother withdrew another raincoat in green still neatly folded from his soaked backpack, and handed it to me. Very quickly I unfolded the coat under which I slipped for a few seconds before emerging again. Together my brother and I made our way to the school gate where we would normally flag for a Motodob. After about twenty minutes or so, the street remained deserted, occasionally protronized by some parents who came to pick up their children. It was pitch dark then.

"Let's walk home! I don't think we can ever find a Motodob!" As young as 10 years old, the last thing I wanted to do was to argue with my brother during a time like this when I needed him the most. So he led the way. I followed him. Our on-foot journey in the dark cold rainy night continued, with occaisional reassuring words from my brother. Our way home was quiet and creepy. I was shivering from the harsh coldness and the fear that engulfed me. My brother, who sensed the need to provide me any possible kind of comfort, took my cold hand and grabbed it tightly. Though his hand was as cold as mine, I could feel the warmth at heart. It took us about 40 minutes before we finally made it to our home safe and sound.

Having an elder bother is one of the best gifts ever!

Comments

pm said…
Yeah, an older brother is a godsend. Hey, the rain didn't remind you of me te? I also have a memory with u in the rain. :-)
Rithy said…
Dude, very touching. I could feel how you were feeling when describing all these. Very similar to the story of brother and I. I guess i never told you the time when a thief stole OUR bike when my brother and I were eating breakfast at street shop..I could never forget that!!!
To PM: Of course i remember that, pm! I remember seeking shelter under this giant umbrella. And there was no rain coat. Luckily you came along and i passed my bag over to you! Always remember that:-D

To thy: yeah, man! You understand me better since you also have had more or less similar experience with this brotherly feeling.
I have a brother myself but I don't really feel the same way as u. I don't know if ur text makes me feel touching or not cos I don't really understand that feeling. If u ask me, I just feel that ur writing is very good that it catches my attention. :)

Popular posts from this blog

A stranger within YOU

HAPPY St. Valentine's Day!

The Good Old Time (2003)