Be NOT Who You Are

"Be yourself." "Be happy with who you are." "Never try to be someone you are not." "People who matter don't judge; people who judge don't matter." And the list goes on.

Well, personally, I think we have subconsciously absorbed the whole be-who-you-are ideology through American movies. 8 out of 10 American movies place a significant emphasis on this ideology, and yes, I think the Americans themselves have done a pretty remarkable job living up to the expectation of "being themselves". They fail a Math test, but it is perfectly okay because they can draw! They leave home at the age of 18 and hate their mom, but it is perfectly okay because they are being themselves and they do not have to worry about what their mom think! They are self-centred, selfish, and egotistic, but it is okay because they are just being themselves!

We, Asians, or more specifically Cambodians, have been exposed to this contagious ideology for so long and so often that it has become an integral part of our lives--especially the teens. And yes, because Cambodians hold onto the misconception that anything European is good and that anything American is better, it is hauntingly true that such quotes about individualism are well put into practice and become an integral part of our everyday life, ranging from daily personal updates of Facebook statuses to major life-changing decisions about relationship breakups.

As far as i'm concerned, quotes are created for the purpose of backing up one's stance in an argument. Chances are that no matter what situation you are in, bad or good, it is likely that you are able to find at least one quote that seems to perfectly add flowers and sunshine to your point. Likewise, the same goes for the whole be-who-you-are concept! In other words, to me, those quotes are apparently just excuses to not being committed to changes for the betterment.

It is ironic that people who stand up and go, "I am not going to change for anyone, because I am the best by being myself" surprisingly change both in appearance and attitude when it comes to striving to win a hot chick's heart and--possibly--body! But when their parents want them to be a little more industrious at home, they will just somehow shrug their shoulders, and go, "I'm sorry. I'm different. Accept me as who I am." How hypocritical! 

The Americans who are responsible for spreading this ideology to every living human being across continents end up labelling some of their people as "psychopath", "stalker", and "slut". Apparently, shouldn't they be offering hands of support to those people too who, obviously, embrace individuality remarkably well. 

My point is I admit I sometimes stick to the ideology too--in the form of those quotes, but that is just my way of finding an excuse for not committing to better changes. So, every time I see people plaster across their social networking sites with those quotes, my blood boils!

Comments

talking about man-up post, this is one of them.. this is very well put... bring more of this, and less of those. For your record, I totally agree with what you are saying...

P.S. See? I always speak the truth...
An opinion is not truth!

Besides i write what i feel like writing.
Be Who God said you are.
@pinkii hahahaha now we gotta talk about who God is

Popular posts from this blog

A stranger within YOU

HAPPY St. Valentine's Day!

The Good Old Time (2003)