Close

I have close friends. You do have close friends. In fact, we all have close friends. But then has anyone ever paused to give enough thoughts to what constitutes a "close" friend? Perhaps at some point in life, this question might cross your mind, especially in the face of contrasting notions that you and your "close" friends hold onto, when a discussion about certain expectations that "close" friends need to live up to surfaces.

How much care does a friend need from a "close" friend to feel being cared for? To be "close" to a friend, is it really a must that you have to be literally there all the time? Or does it hold true that all that is needed is mere emotional support from the distance? Perhaps we cling onto different self-drawn pictures of what "close" friends should be. And this probably explains why "close" friends may come in all shapes and sizes which are molded according to our preferences before being tagged with respective expectations. In cases where your expectations about certain things a "close" friend should do are not met, misunderstandings arise, and it all starts with these tiny little cracks like that, which could really bring down a whole concrete looming building of friendship.

A close friend, to me, should always be there for me, emotionally, though more preferably physically. A close friend should be willing to share with me, and should be someone I feel at ease sharing with without having to worry about the side effects. A close friend should be someone who is as less judgemental as possible, someone who accepts my flaws with a smile. A close friend should be someone who sees no beneficial gains in me. A close friend is someone who says things about me in the same way both in my presence and absence. A close friend is someone I can dirty-talk with, someone with whom I do not have to watch my language. A close friend is someone I am willing to tease for sheer pleasure of the person being teased himself and of mine. A close friend is someone who uses my bathroom...

(There are other expectations that have not occurred to me yet!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
hehehe....we all have used ur bathroom when we went to party at ur home. are we considered? i like this last part best :D
Unknown said…
But to some extend, you may consider a friend CLOSE eNough to you does matter! It isn't really a need to think how close, but for sure I really agree with you that CLOSE FRIENDS ARE THERE FOR US PHYSICALLY AND EMOTIONALLY. Without any of these, for sure, the feeling of CLOSE would fade away. The definition is made up by our own, but what we need to is TO BE CLOSE TO THOSE WE CONSIDER CLOSE. Most of the time, close friends need care and attention, mostly, need to be there for them!

Those who use ur bathroom? Then, how about ur Mr. Bean? lolz.. he used ur bathroom too?? Maybe we shouldn't expect too much from FRIENDS cuz when they failed to do it, it'd just be NOTHING!
Sopheary said…
Hehe...Just a quick question. I've never used your bathroom. Am I considered your close friend?
Rest assured taht you three are my close friends!!! PM, you might have used my bathroom too if there had not been the blackout:-D

Popular posts from this blog

A stranger within YOU

HAPPY St. Valentine's Day!

The Good Old Time (2003)